Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Exercising My Brain and Body

According to the Alzheimer's Association, keeping mentally active and exercising regularly may lower the risk of Alzheimer's. That is why I not only exercise my body, but my brain too.

Yesterday, I returned home from work and had one thing on my mind. Exercising. Since it's HOT, I have moved my workouts indoors for the time being. I started a new exercise program last week, Turbo Jam's Brazil Butt Lift. So far, I love it! My schedule yesterday consisted of 2 videos, Cardio Axe (Axe means good luck in Portuguese.) and High and Tight. Those videos totaled about an hour and 15 minutes, plus I walked for 30 minutes at lunch. I felt physically great after my afternoon workouts.

After my shower, I checked the mail. WooHoo, my Alzheimer's Association Big Brain Puzzle Book had arrived! It has over 200 puzzles in 3 levels: Level 1-Kick start your neurons, Level 2- Fire up your synapses, and Level 3- Activate your brain. The categories of puzzles included are creative thinking, mathematics, logic, language, visual, wordplay, and knowledge. I immediately sat on the couch to start working some puzzles. The first one stumped me for a while until I finally got my brain to work the way the puzzles intended. I worked through 15 of the puzzles last night. I'm very excited about working some more tonight!

Here is one of the puzzles from the book. See if you can figure it out!

WORDPLAY
Below are the names of six states with their vowels removed. How fast can you figure out their full names?
1. KLHM
2. NDN
3. H
4. LLNS
5. W
6. RGN


P.S. The book is available through Amazon for only $9.59. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Alzheimers-Association-Presents-Brain-Puzzle/dp/1603208208/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311711980&sr=8-1

1 comment: