Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Third Time's the Charm

So, I'm a little late posting this. My vacation got me all behind (posts on vacation coming soon).
The third time really is the charm. "What third time, what charm?", you might be asking. Wearing a skirt/dress to work! What??? Yes, I have been in my big girl job for over 10 years...last Thursday was only the 3rd time that I wore a dress/skirt to work. This time, it wasn't 3 strikes and you're out...it was the 3rd time's the charm.
Let's recap my 3 experiences:
1st Time
I was fairly new to the company...a young female engineer surrounded by older male engineers. You can see where this is going. I needed to do laundry, so I decided to wear a skirt to work...it was knee length (very work appropriate). As soon as I walked in the door, I heard this: "You're wearing a skirt! Why?" Unfortunately, that was not the last time I heard it that day. Every guy I saw that day said the same thing. Eventually, I just started looking down in surprise saying, "Oh wow...I am wearing a dress." Then I would smile and walk away.
2nd Time
Fast forward about 8-9 years...yes, I waited that long before attempting it again. This time, I worked in a department that had more females...most of whom wear dresses on a regular basis. I thought I might be safe. My daughter had a Christmas program at her daycare in the afternoon, and I wanted to look nice for that. Freen sweater dress, belt, tights, and boots on...I thought I looked pretty put together. I arrived at work, and the males kept commenting on how I looked like an elf. Great, I wear a dress again and now I look like an elf. In their defense, since it was Christmas time, I did kinda look like an elf.
See!
3rd Time July 23, 2015 - I had an Alzheimer's Luncheon that I was going to attend. I decided to dress nice and wear my purple dress. Here we go again! Only one person seemed shocked to see me in a dress. Everyone else showered me with compliments. :) The only questions/comments I received was on the purple color. This made me happy...I could then launch into my spiel on Alzheimer's. Win Win!!

No comments:

Post a Comment